Having a foreigner mate usually have some extra preparation referring to bureaucracy document and living permission in Indonesia. It is including a spouse’s visa, or a marriage visa sponsored by a spouse. But one certain thing is it can be handled efficiently with proper research and the involvement of professional consulting firms. Here will be told what a partner visa is and the process of getting it.
What is Partner Visa?
Partner visa is a visa for foreigners who are married to Indonesian citizens. There are two types of partner visas: KITAS (Limited Stay Permit Card) and KITAP (Permanent Stay Permit Card). In many cases, KITAS is the basis for you to apply for KITAP.
KITAS Spouse Sponsored by Wife or Husband
The only way for a foreigner who is married to an Indonesian person to get a KITAS is through a KITAS sponsored by an employer, not sponsored by his /her spouse. However, there are exceptions. To get a spouse sponsor to live in Indonesia, your Indonesian mate must live with you in your home country for at least 2 years. This regulation applies because of several cases of “fake” marriages between local and foreign people in Indonesia.
Process for Couples sponsored KITAS
In processing to get KITAS, your spouse should arrange VITAS (Limited Stay Visa) Agreement. The preparations are as follows:
- Prepare documents: valid passport and photocopy of passport, marriage certificate, photocopy of your spouse’s KTP and family card with the status of “marriage”, photocopy of your spouse’s checking account and sponsorship letter.
- Apply for a Telex visa as VITAS (Limited Stay Visa).
- The VITAS Agreement is issued by the Indonesian Immigration Office in Jakarta and selected to Indonesian embassies abroad.
- The VITAS approval process takes 5 days.
- VITAS is issued by Indonesian embassies abroad.
- Take VITAS directly before coming to Indonesia.
Change VITAS to KITAS
Once you enter Indonesia, you are allowed to change VITAS to KITAS in only 7 days. You are not allowed to leave Indonesia in the middle of a changing process or your VITAS will become invalid. Your KITAS partner visa will have multiple exits and re-entry permits (MERP). However, you are still not allowed to work or start a business in Indonesia until you get a work permit.
You should also remember that you do not need to wait 4 months to change your social visa to KITAS. It is valid for 6 months to a year. It must be renewed every 6 or 12 months with a total validity period of 5 years.
Civil Records and Reporting
Foreigners with a KITAS sponsored by a partner must register in the civil department within 14 days after the issuance of KITAS. To get it, you should prepare the following things:
- Prepare the required documents
- Visit the civil administration department
- You will get SKSKPS (Certificate of Family Membership of Temporary Residents) and STM (Letter of Reporting).
Change KITAS to KITAP
After getting KITAS You might consider changing it to a KITAP partner visa after being married for two years with your spouse who is an Indonesian citizen. KITAP is one step before gaining full citizenship.
In Indonesia, understanding the immigration context for a proper visa application for couples can be quite a challenge. Most strangers will be surprised by all the complicated processes and requirements if you do it by yourself. There is no need to worry about the exhausting preparation of documents just follow the instruction and procedure to make it.