The mix marriage can happen in our society because there are many foreigners are attracted to visit in Indonesian. This condition opens wide chance for WNA to get married with them. Unfortunately Indonesian is sometimes considered has complicated and ambiguous process of obtaining its visa, including a spouse’s visa, or a marriage visa sponsored by a spouse. But one certain thing is it can be handled efficiently with proper research and the involvement of professional consulting firms.
Partner visa is a visa for foreigners who are married to Indonesian citizens. There are two types of partner visas: KITAS (Limited Stay Permit Card) that is sponsored by a partner and KITAP (Permanent Stay Permit Card) which is sponsored by a partner. In many cases, KITAS is the basis for you to apply for KITAP. Here will be explained how to arrange residence permit for fix marriages in Indonesia
To help you with your partner’s visa application, you only need to visit the immigration office once during the process, especially when converting VITAS to KITAS, for biometric data processing. Here is the Process for Couples sponsored KITAS :
A. VITAS Agreement
- Prepare documents: a valid passport and a photocopy of the passport, marriage certificate, photocopy of your spouse’s KTP and family card with the status of “marriage”, a photocopy of your spouse’s checking account and a letter of sponsorship.
- Apply for a Telex visa as a VITAS (Limited Stay Visa).
- The VITAS Agreement is issued by the Indonesian Immigration Office in Jakarta and selected to Indonesian embassies abroad.
- The VITAS approval process takes 5 days.
- VITAS is issued by Indonesian embassies abroad.
- Take VITAS directly before coming to Indonesia.
B. Change VITAS to KITAS
Once you enter Indonesia, you are allowed to change VITAS to KITAS in only 7 days. You are not allowed to leave Indonesian in the middle of a change process or your VITAS will become invalid. Your KITAS partner visa will have multiple exits and re-entry permits (MERP).
However, you are still not allowed to work or start a business in Indonesia until you get a work permit. Also remember that you do not need to wait 4 months to change your social visa to KITAS. KITAS is valid for 6 months to a year. KITAS must be renewed every 6 or 12 months with a total validity period of 5 years.
C. Civil Records and Reporting
Foreigners with a KITAS sponsored by a partner must register at the civil department within 14 days after the issuance of KITAS, with the following preparation:
- Prepare the required documents
- Visit the civil administration department
- You will get SKSKPS (Certificate of Composition of Temporary Resident Families) and STM (Reporting Certificate).
- Change KITAS to KITAP
You might consider changing your KITAS to a KITAP partner visa after being married for two years with your spouse who is an Indonesian citizen. KITAP is one step before gaining full citizenship. That’s some procedures you should obtain as WNA if you want to arrange permit residence for your mix marriage.