A foreigner who marries an Indonesian citizen doesn’t automatically become a citizen, including if he or she resides in Indonesia. The thing that needs to be considered by the foreigner during his/her stay in Indonesia is that he must have a residence permit. If the foreigner has lived in Indonesia for 5 years or 10 years in a row, then he/she is eligible to submit becoming a citizen (if he/she wishes it).
In the Act, the issue of Indonesian Citizenship is regulated in Law number 12 of 2006 and Government Regulation (PP) number 2 of 2007. According to the Law, there is several condition of Indonesian Citizens (WNI) in terms of how to obtain it.
If the conditions have been met, then to become an Indonesian citizen they should submit a request to the President of Indonesia. An application shall be filed in Indonesia by the applicant in writing in the Indonesian language on sufficiently stamped paper and at least contains; full name, place and date of birth, gender, marital status, residential address, occupation and nationality of origin.
How to Citizenship Changing in Indonesian
The request files need some documents so that you must prepare them carefully. The following is the applying procedure to become an Indonesian citizen:
- The request file is then submitted to the Ministry of Law and Human Rights (Kemenkumham) can be through the Indonesian Embassy (Embassy) in the applicant’s home country, or the local Court Office.
- The Kemenkumham official then checks the completeness of the file and conducts a substantive examination of the application no later than 14 (fourteen) days from the date the application was received.
- If all the required documents are complete, the official will then forward the documents to the Minister of Law and Human Rights (Menkumham) no later than 7 (seven) days after the substantive examination is complete.
- Furthermore, Menkumham will carry out further examinations and give consideration to the President regarding the request, no later than 45 (forty five) days from the receipt of the application.
- If the Menkumham examination has been completed, the request will be forwarded to the President which can then be granted or rejected no later than 45 (forty five) days from the receipt of the application.
- If it’s granted, the applicant will get a copy of the Presidential Decree with a copy to the Kemenkumham officials.
- The applicant is then summoned according to the determined time to take an oath and a pledge of allegiance before the official and is attended by 2 witnesses.
- After taking an oath or declaring a faithful promise, the applicant is required to return immigration documents or documents in his name to the immigration office whose jurisdiction covers the applicant’s residence within 14 (fourteen) days from the date of oath-taking or the statement of loyalty .
- After the minutes of taking the oath and the pledge of allegiance are received, the Minister announces the name of the person who has obtained the Citizenship of the Republic of Indonesia in the Official Gazette of the Republic of Indonesia.
Love needs sacrifice; this phrase is true. To stay in Indonesia in the same citizenship with your beloved couple need many preparations and patience because this procedure need time and detail file. Hopefully this information is helpful and May your marriage is happily ever after!